You’ve decided you want carpet in your home. As with any flooring product, your decision as to which specific carpet product to pick depends on practicalities as well as personal style preferences. Here are our top questions to ask to help you when choosing new carpet.
They come from Classique Floors + Tile’s extensive experience helping customers like you find the perfect carpet for your floors.
>> See About Us
Top Questions to Ask When Choosing New Carpet
At Classique, we love carpet and how it can add warmth, style and comfort to a room. Not to mention that it works beautifully with other flooring surfaces in your home.
1. Which carpet color and style is best?
In comparison to wood, luxury vinyl tile, linoleum or tile, carpet is a soft, fabric-inspired floor covering choice. As such, you have many options in terms of color, texture and construction style which can coordinate or contrast with your overall design scheme.
From a practical perspective, the color of your wall-to-wall carpet may affect your perception of the room itself.
- Lighter colored carpet makes a room look larger.
- Darker colored carpet makes a room look smaller and cozier.
If the space to be carpeted receives a lot of foot traffic, you may want to choose a color or pattern that is more forgiving of soil and staining:
- Berber flecks and medium colors tend to show less soiling.
- Patterned carpets will show less staining.
If you plan to move in the near future, you may prefer to go with a more neutral color. Similarly, if you have bold furniture and wall covering patterns, you may find it easier to tie the entire room together visually with a neutral colored carpet.
When you start shopping for carpet, you’ll discover three style categories: cut carpet, loop carpet and patterned carpet. Cut carpet is perhaps the best known style; loop carpet can also be combined with cut loops to create a textural pattern; you’ll often notice patterned carpet in hotels and convention centers.
Ultimately, your color and carpet style decision depend on what makes you feel most comfortable given your own design style and the purpose of the room you are carpeting.
When you visit Classique Floors + Tile, you will be able to check out as many carpet samples as you need for 24 to 48 hours so you can see how they look in your home environment. That makes choosing new carpet much easier.
Bonus Tip: Be sure to check the carpet color samples you like in both store light and daylight, and then at home in lamplight, too. When you do, place the carpet sample on the floor, rather than at eye level or at an angle. Note that carpet colors often look lighter when installed compared to the store sample.
2. How much carpet will you need?
An important part of choosing new carpet is estimating the quantity you will need to purchase. Although your Classique Floors + Tile project consultant will guide you through the entire process, including come to your home for a free estimate, here are some considerations to think about when it comes to estimating how much carpet you will need:
- Most carpet is available in 12 feet or 15 feet width. Depending on the width of your room, and especially if it is wider than 12 or 15 feet, your carpet installation will have seams. Ideally, you will want the seams to be in a less trafficked or visible part of the room. Work with your project consultant to determine the best location for seams based on the texture and color of your carpet as well as furniture placement and general lighting.
- You may need additional carpet to take into account seams, unusual room shapes and to match carpet patterns. This means you have extra carpet available if you need to make a repair later on.
3. What else will you need to consider when choosing new carpet?
In addition to carpet, you will need to purchase carpet padding or cushion.
Carpet padding helps by extending the life of your carpet. Think of it as a shock absorber for your carpet. The pad you choose is the equivalent of insurance for assisting the life of your carpet.
Other considerations that may have cost implications, in addition to installation, include:
- Will you need furniture removed from and then placed back in the room you are having carpeted?
- Will you need to have your old flooring removed and disposed of?
- Will doors need to be trimmed to accommodate the new flooring?
- What shape is your subfloor in and will it need some kind of remediation?
- What other installation materials might be required?
If you are also choosing new carpet for your stairs, ask about the different styles available – e.g., waterfall, colonial wrap, … You might want to consider metal stair rods to add another dimension. Classique Floors + Tile charges by the step rather than by square footage.
4. What about carpet installation?
In anticipation of your new carpet being installed, you’ll want to find out how long the job will take and whether you need to be available during installation.
Also confirm what temperature level the room should be at for installation. When it comes to installing carpet, we recommend having the room, the subfloor and the carpet at a minimum of 65 degrees Farhenheit for the entire installation. The reason is that it’s easier to stretch carpet properly when the room is warm. That in turn ensures a better installation.
It’a a good idea to examine the carpet prior to installation so you can confirm style and color variations and review your preferences for the installation of seams.
Then, after installation inspect it with a store representative in case you have concerns or issues. Find out if you need to ensure any kind of ventilation and for how long.
5. What about carpet maintenance?
Make sure you have received, read, and fully understand the maintenance and warranty information for your new carpet, carpet padding and the installation itself.
In the case of Classique Floors + Tile, you can count on:
- Ultimate Guarantee – you can buy with total confidence thanks to our industry-best warranties.
- The Confidence Warranty – if, within 30 days after installation, you’re not happy with your new floor due to color or style, we’ll replace it with a floor of equal value.
- The Confidence Plus™ Warranty – if you don’t love your new floor, we’ll replace it. We’ll even pay for labor on four and five star rates floors.
- The Price Protection Guarantee – if you find a lower price on the same brand and style product within 30 days after your purchase, we’ll happily refund the difference.
- The Lifetime Installation Warranty – we have total confidence in our work. But, if you ever have installation-related issues, we’ll make it right at our expense.
- Exclusive Five-Star Rated Warranties – our five-star rating system makes it easy to choose your new floor based on your desired level of warranty coverage.
Be sure to review these warranties in detail with your Classique project consultant.
Most carpet warranties encourage regular cleaning, starting with frequent vacuuming and including a yearly professional cleaning.
- Ask your retailer what type of vacuum cleaner should you use for your carpet style. In some cases, you may not want to use a beater bar.
- Review the carpet warranty’s professional cleaning guidelines and recommendations with your dealer and ask for carpet cleaner references.
For general floor care, emergency stain treatments and spot-cleaning, we recommend the following resources:
>> General Floor Care Do or Dye Tips for removing the toughest stains.
>> See Carpet Stain Removal Guide.
Ready for choosing the perfect carpet at Classique Floors + Tile?
We invite you to visit our Portland, Oregon showroom to explore the many flooring options we carry. We think you’ll find the perfect carpet for your home.
Or schedule a free in-home job site assessment. Your Classique project consultant will guide you through everything from initial estimate to product selection to final installation, answering all your questions.
You’ll be delighted. We promise.
Thanks for reading,